Deep in the jungles of Africa there lives an exotic mystic beast called inspiration. This beast is akin to the plot bunnies - rabid pink beast that bite unsespecting victims filling them with a posionous urge to write. However, unlike the plot bunny, whom writers curse for their frequent biting, the inspiration is sought after and hunted - generally with pen and paper made weaponry. Why are they hunted? Because their rare feathers are required for a story to be created.
By now, some of you are probably wondering why you're reading my insanity. Part of this insanity was brought on by a whole day in front of the computer going "I want to write. What should I write?" I have a list of 25 (and growing!) plot ideas some of which date all the way back to December. They span three fandoms and at least 10 pairings. They range in depth from PWP (porn without point) to deep angishing motif filled philosophy. And yet I couldn't write.
I had no inspiration. I would choose a prompt, and the scenes would start to fill my head, but I couldn't figure out where to start describing them. The words wouldn't come. I sat there for 5 hours, fingers poised, waiting for some sort of story to start writing itself.
There has to be some sort of solution to this. I hate days like these when I want to write, and can see the great potential of an idea, but yet not be able to get it out. Luckily there is. It's just that in my stupidity I decided against using one of these cures.
By now, some of you are probably wondering why you're reading my insanity. Part of this insanity was brought on by a whole day in front of the computer going "I want to write. What should I write?" I have a list of 25 (and growing!) plot ideas some of which date all the way back to December. They span three fandoms and at least 10 pairings. They range in depth from PWP (porn without point) to deep angishing motif filled philosophy. And yet I couldn't write.
I had no inspiration. I would choose a prompt, and the scenes would start to fill my head, but I couldn't figure out where to start describing them. The words wouldn't come. I sat there for 5 hours, fingers poised, waiting for some sort of story to start writing itself.
There has to be some sort of solution to this. I hate days like these when I want to write, and can see the great potential of an idea, but yet not be able to get it out. Luckily there is. It's just that in my stupidity I decided against using one of these cures.
- Do something else for a while - In essence I am doing that now, by writing this, but whenever the ideas won't come, get up and go do something else. Get out of the fandom! Honestly reading Ciel/Sebastian fics didn't help me write one. Reading Yamamoto/Gokudera doujinshi didn't help me write the story that I have promised someont for tomorrow. (Not that I want to work on that one anyways. The prompt is Yama/Goku and leapard print socks. Not good when my mind wants to angst.) I find it quite helpful to get up and do some exercise. It gets the chemicals in my brain flowing better.
- Change something - Especially if your sitting at a desktop, you probably have the same view, the same music, and the same people around you. Change it up a bit. Switch to a new artist. Change the decorations. Move to another room. Do something. Get something new to flood your senses.
- Smelly good stuff- Your sense of smell is amazing. If I'm ever stuck I open some windows and light some insense. Insense will flood a room faster than a candle, and stick around longer. (Hence me opening the windows so it doesn't still smell like "romance" three days later) Smells and candles will help to create a more romantic mood, especially good for writing yaoi romance. (Not quite so good for writing Non-con, or adventure. Generally those don't have passionate romance in them.)
- Write by Hand - Yes, I know that you'll then have to type it up, but thus is the curse of writing. Hand writing is more personal than typing. It allows you to doodle on the page edges, write questions to your self, and fling your pen and paper across the room with minimum monetary damage. It also makes your brain slow down and think more because it'll take longer to commit each sentense to a medium. (If you really want to slow down, try writing with your nondominant hand. It cuts me down to half speed, and I'm pretty dexerous with both hands!)
- Plot something new - This is the one that broke me out of my curse. My co-conspirator Kenzie texted me, and we started talking about foot fetishes. This topic molded into a story, which molded into a series, all based on Mukuro having fetishes. Around this time, the dam on my thoughts broke, and I was finally able to start slowly working on fixing my Gokudera/Tsuna non-con. (Coming to a FFn account near you!)
Also if you read, please comment, and leave a link to any of your writing! I would love to see what you've done!

No comments:
Post a Comment