So I'm a senior in high school this year, and as part of my college applications, I have to write an essay about an issue that is important to me, my community, or my friends. Now the first issue I could easily write about is gay rights and homophobia. Many of my friends are not heterosexual, just as I am not heterosexual. I am asexual, and a grand total of 7 people know that. (Well, now all you internet nerds know it too.) Since last year I have been fighting against homophobia, since at that time many of my friends were coming out, and most people thought (and still think) that I am gay.
Now I can easily turn out a nice long essay about homophobia and how it has affected me and my friends. Not only that, but it could help me get some diversity points, since Asexuality is a definite minority of a minority. However of the 7 people who do know, my parents aren't among them. Now there is a definite chance that my parents will request to proof my essays, at which point they will have a very sudden realization.
So what to do? What to do? Write what I want, and care about? Or chose a problem that's safe and easy?
If I had a brain left I would somehow connect this to yaoi. However it is currently 11 pm and I'm too tired to BS some sort of connection. So good night!

No comments:
Post a Comment