Sunday, June 14, 2009

The way Non-con should be

In the yaoi community, there is a particular topic that most of us like to pretend doesn't exist - rape. We cover up this topic with other phrases like "non-con" and pretend that the uke really did enjoy having a large organ shoved up his ass without preparation. And then of course they fall in love, because what noncon is complete without the uke falling for the man that gave him so much pain, and in some cases perminant damage?

If you can't tell, I hate non-con. I hate it because that won't happen in real life. I know that's a bit hypocritcal, considering how much I love men getting pregnant, which will also never happen, but I can explain this I think.

See, for me yaoi is about two things. Sex and emotion. The sex part is pretty obvious. I enjoy reading the porny side of it. As for emotions, I enjoy watching the emotions these two boys feel as they fall head over heels for each other. I love fics that make these emotions feel real. A good fic in my opinion should be able to leave you emotionally bankrupt as well.

But a noncon in which the uke loves every minute of it isn't going to get that emotional pull. So if the writer wants me to enjoy it they better have some fucking awesome sex scenes, which is even harder, because for me rape is a major turn off. (To this date there is only one non-con I have read and liked, despite it falling into this category. I believe it is called Under the Chains, and it is on Fanfiction.net. It is a Cloud/Seph fic, and I believe it is in the Kingdom Hearts category, because it has a lot of Kingdom Heart characters. )

Rarely do I find a story that is rape where it manages to pull off the emotional side of it. Why? Because rape is a complex thing. Not only do you have to find a reason for Character X to rape Character Y, but then Character Y has to deal with the aftermath. Character Y should feel dirty. Perhaps Y think's it's his fault he was raped? Or maybe he is afraid of his friends finding out? Did Y know X before it happened? How does Y react to X now?

As always I urge you to do your research before you write. Even just reading the wikipedia page on rape will tell you some basic things Y should go through. Try to find a story someone told about themselves being raped. Put yourself in the situation. What would you do if your best friend raped you? Could you forgive them? Would you be able to interact with them again?

In closing I want to send you all to an amazing rape fic (it's Draco/Harry with Vernon/Harry rape). This one fic can honestly help you more than I can by asking questions. I have only made it halfway through chapter 2 at the time of posting this, but I believe it will continue it's amazing portrayal of how someone reacts to rape.

No comments:

Post a Comment